New I-9 Form Now Available
The new Form I-9 has been updated and is now available. As of January 22, 2017, employers are required to use this form. It replaces the Form I-9 that was last revised March 8, 2013. The new Form I-9 will be valid through August 19, 2019. The Form can be accessed and filled out electronically, but must be printed out and signed with a handwritten signature. Here are some of the changes employers can expect to see on the new Form I-9:
- There are new drop-down lists and calendars added.
- The form now has a QR code which can be scanned during audits.
- Workers no longer have to list all of their previous names. Instead, they can list other last names used.
- There is no longer a requirement that immigrants authorized to work have to provide both a Form I-94 and a foreign passport for Section 1.
- There is now a dedicated area on the Form I-9 for information that had previously been written in the margins by the employer. This includes Temporary Protected Status and Optional Practical Training extensions.
To read more about the new Form I-9, see the article from The Society for Human Resource Management.